Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Graphing Horizontal and Vertical Lines ( HOY and VUX)

   I love teaching slope but so many of my students have difficulty remembering how to graph and write equations of horizontal and vertical lines. I  like the acronyms HOY and VUX to help students remember this. I have seen foldables on many of the blogs I read, but I wanted to have HOY shown horizontally and VUX shown vertically just as another visual for my students. So I created this graphic organizer.


       I keep all of my graphic organizers in a binder and use paper with reinforced sides so the holes don't rip. So far so good.That way I can change the order and add other foldables as needed. This is my first year using interactive notebooks and I have changed the order of my notebook so many times that I lost count.


 
         With so many second language students in my classes the horizontal and vertical visual clues are helpful. Of course I started the lesson with the video of  SLOPE DUDE. The kids think it is hysterical and they will not forget zero or undefined slopes!


 
                   You can download and print these graphic organizers by clicking here for the Hoy and Vux graphic organizer, graphs, and practice sheet. If you have problems downloading these please let me know. I'm still trying to figure out how to download from Dropbox. I think I've figured it out ???

                                                                       Til next time ... Jan
                                       

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE the fact that HOY is written horizontally and VUX is written vertically! We're quickly approaching this lesson in Algebra 1, and I'm excited to try this strategy! I clicked on your dropbox link, and I was able to download the file. Success!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouragement Sarah. I think I have used everything from your blog on slope! The kids loved the slope pictures that they drew. They made them on Thursday when I was out. The sub said they were "wonderful." So nice to hear that from a sub. Thanks for the ideas.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing these! I can't wait to use them with my students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you like them. Let me know how it works for your classes. Thank you for leaving me a comment. It makes my day :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing! Working on this snow day and came across your resources. Going to use them this week! Love the slow dude video! Hehe

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...